As Special Counsel at Wise Carter, Becky Hawkins’s practice is focused on appellate advocacy. She not only represents clients in post-judgment appeals but also works with trial counsel in briefing dismissal motions, drafting jury instructions, and in seeking emergency appeals of various trial court orders.
In her free time, Becky enjoys participating in various dog sports and activities with her two terriers. She is a member of both the Mississippi State Kennel Club and the Jackson Obedience Training Club. She volunteers with national Airedale and Welsh Terrier rescue organizations.
Becky is an active communicant at St. Columb’s Episcopal Church.
- Louisiana Tech University, 1987, B.A., summa cum laude
- Mississippi College, 1990, J.D., with distinction
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Women Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (Appellate Advocacy Committee & Animal Law Committee)
Publications and Seminars
- Appellate Procedure in Mississippi, in SUCCESSFULLY NAVIGATING THE APPEALS PROCESS (National Business Institute 2009 and 2011)
- How an Appellate Lawyer Can Help at Trial, 9 Fifth Circuit Civil News 1 (March 2009); co-author with Luther T. Munford
- Superseding and Staying Judgments in Mississippi, in SUPERSEDING AND STAYING JUDGMENTS: A NATIONAL COMPENDIUM 277 (American Bar Association 2007)
- Fundamentals of a Fifth Circuit Appeal in a Civil Case, in THE ESSENTIALS OF MISSISSIPPI APPELLATE PRACTICE 3 (National Business Institute 2002)
- Note, Death on a Whim: Jury Discretion and “Especially Heinous” Crimes, 9 Miss. C. L. Rev. 357 (1989)
- Estate of Cole v. Ferrell, 163 So.3d 921 (Miss. 2012). Secured reversal of trial court decision refusing to preserve confidentiality of settlement agreement.
- Grant v. Ford Motor Co., 89 So.3d 655 (Miss. App. 2012). Secured affirmance of summary judgment for defendant manufacturer in product liability suit.
- Morgan v. Green-Save, Inc., 2 So.3d 648 (Miss. App. 2008). Secured reversal on appeal of jury verdict against real estate developer in suit alleging fraudulent concealment and misrepresentation. Court of Appeals rendered judgment in favor of developer.
- Ford Motor Co. v. Tennin, 960 So.2d 379 (Miss. 2007). Secured reversal on appeal of order granting new trial to plaintiff after defense verdict.
- Scordino v. Hopeman Brothers, Inc., 662 So.2d 640 (Miss. 1995) (as Rebecca L. Wiggins). Secured affirmance of directed verdict in favor of ship joiner subcontractor in asbestos litigation. Supreme Court held that subcontractor could not be strictly liable as it was not a manufacturer or seller of the asbestos-containing materials it supplied and installed as part of its contract to finish out ship interiors.