Gene Naylor is a shareholder in the firm’s Jackson office and following a judicial clerkship after graduation, has actively practiced since 1986.
Gene’s litigation practice includes representation of hospitals, physicians and long term care facilities in the defense of medical malpractice litigation and complex litigation involving products and premises liability, pharmaceutical, insurance, business and contract matters.
His health law practice includes hospital administration and medical staff issues and health information management. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Southern Mississippi (B.S. 1982) and law degree from Cumberland School of Law (J.D. 1985).
He is frequently requested to speak on the subjects of risk management, physician and nursing practice, health information management, and governmental regulations affecting healthcare providers.
Gene serves on the board of the Mississippi Hospital Association Society for Health Care Risk Management and serves the firm as secretary/treasurer.
- University of Southern Mississippi, 1982, B.S.
- Cumberland School of Law, 1985, J.D.
- Law Clerk and Presiding Judge - 8th Judicial Circuit, Alabama, 1985-1986
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Hospital Association Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017-2021:
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury Litigation: Defendants
- Medical Malpractice Law: Defendants
- Mid-South Super Lawyers - 2020
Civic and Charitable Interests
- Boy Scouts of America
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- American Cancer Society
Publications and Seminars
- Confidentiality of Medical Records in Mississippi, Medical Educational Services, Inc. 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002
- Risk Management and Informed Consent, Mississippi Hospital Association, Society for Health Care Risk Management; Annual Assembly, 1996
- Clinical, Statutory and Liability Issues for Nurses, in-service/continuing nursing education; Co-sponsored by The Reciprocal Group and Mississippi Baptist Medical Center, 1995
- Product Liability-State of the Art, Mississippi Hospital Association, Society for Health Care Risk Management; Third Annual Assembly, 1993;
- Continuing education approved by American Health Information Management Association, 1994; Co-sponsored by Mississippi Baptist Medical Center and Shell, Buford, Bufkin, Callicutt & Perry
- Burr v. Mississippi Baptist Med. Ctr., 909 So. 2d 721 (Miss. 2005)
- Valencia v. Mississippi Baptist Med. Ctr., 363 F.Supp. 867 (S.D. Miss. 2005)
- Hollis v. American Airlines, Inc., 138 F.3d. 1028 (5th Cir. 1998)
- Rudd v. Montgomery Elevator Co., 618 So. 2d 68 (Miss. 1993)
- Thompson v. Barnett, 734 F. Supp. 751 (S.D. Miss. 1989)