Crane Kipp has been of counsel to Wise Carter Child & Caraway since 2000 and has more than 40 years of experience representing corporations, institutions and individuals in a broad range of matters across Mississippi. For nearly 30 years, Mr. Kipp’s primary practice areas have involved healthcare industry regulation, finance and planning; eminent domain law; land use planning; and growing corporations representation. Mr. Kipp has represented clients in all levels of courts in Mississippi and before the United States Supreme Court, largely in commercial and civil rights litigation. He has counseled clients before a broad array of administrative agencies including the Mississippi Board of Psychological Examiners, the Mississippi State Board of Nursing, the Mississippi Board of Medical Licensure, the Mississippi Department of Health, the Mississippi State Tax Commission, the Mississippi Real Estate Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board, and the Mississippi Board of Cosmotology. Mr. Kipp has also represented clients before planning agencies and county and municipal governing bodies relating to all phases of land use planning and regulation. Mr. Kipp’s legal experience and counsel has ranged from ERISA compliance and employee benefit plan drafting to civil rights litigation; from eminent domain disputes to derelict building regulation; from mergers and acquisitions to estates and trusts; and from securities regulation to personal injury claims. In recent years, Mr. Kipp has increasingly represented a broad range of clients in litigation, both plaintiffs and defendants and/or their insurers, in a broad range of causes of actions.
Mr. Kipp studied at the University of Mississippi obtaining his B.B.A. (Personnel Management) in 1972 and his J.D. in 1975. Mr. Kipp is admitted to practice in all Mississippi state and federal courts as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Mr. Kipp was admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court in 1979 and first appeared before that court in 1981. Mr. Kipp has served as the chairman of the Health Law Section of the Mississippi Bar Association and was inducted into the Fellows of the Mississippi Bar Foundation, the Fellows of the Mississippi Young Lawyers Association and numerous other bar societies and organizations. Mr. Kipp coached Bar-sponsored Mock Trial teams for nearly 20 years. In addition, Mr. Kipp was involved in the organization of, and has served pro bono as counsel for, numerous charitable organizations largely focused on the promotion and/or assistance of children’s healthcare, development and protection. He has also served as a director (and past president) of New Stage Theatre and continues to serve as its counsel.
- University of Mississippi, 1972, B.B.A.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, 1975, J.D.
- Former partner in Shell, Buford, Bufkin, Callicutt & Perry, 1980-2000
- United States Supreme Court
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- Mississippi Bar Association (Former Secretary, Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Health Law Section)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Law Forum
- Fellows of the Young Lawyers of Mississippi
- Fellows of the Mississippi Bar Foundation
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2020:
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Health Care Law
- Land Use & Zoning Law
- Litigation: Land Use & Zoning
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020:
- Real Estate Law
- Named The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 - Jackson, MS: Land Use & Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Mississippi Business Journal Leaders in Law "2017 Lawyer of the Year"
Civic and Charitable Interests
- First Presbyterian Church
- UMC Candlelighters
- Ronald McDonald House of Mississippi
- Friends of Children’s Hospital
- Jackson Free Clinic
- Canopy Children's Solutions
- New Stage Theatre
Publications and Seminars
“Mortgages to Secure Future Advances: Problems of Priority and the Doctrine of Economic Necessity”, 40 Miss. Law Journal 433 (1975), Griffith and Kipp
- NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co., 405 So. 2d 115 (Miss. 1981), rev’d, 458 U.S. 866 (1982)
- Henry v. National Bank of Clarksdale, 595 F.2d 291 (5th Cir. 1979)
- United States v. 717.42 Acres of Land (US DC SD MS 1980)
- Morley v. Jackson Redevelopment Authority, 632 So. 2d 1284 (Miss. 1994)
- Daily v. Morgan, 701 F.2d 49 6 (5th Cir. 1983)
- Urban Developers v. City of Jackson, 227 F.R. D. 464 (2005): 468 F.3d 381 (5th Cir. 2006)
- MESC v. Delta Staffing, LLC, Administrative Opinion