Charles is an associate attorney at Wise Carter. He began practicing with the Firm in 2014 following the completion of his clerkship with the Honorable E. Grady Jolly on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Charles’ practice focuses on litigation in the areas of general business, healthcare, insurance, corrections, government, railroad, and civil rights.
Additionally, his practice focuses heavily on a variety of appellate matters in Mississippi appellate courts as well as the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
In his free time, Charles enjoys fishing, golf, hunting, traveling, and playing in poker tournaments. Charles and his wife, Kristin, live in Madison.
- The University of Mississippi, B.A., magna cum laude, 2010
- The University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2013
- Clerk for Hon. E. Grady Jolly, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2013-2014
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- The Federalist Society
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
Publications and Seminars
- Author, Creationism’s Public and Private Fronts: The Protection and Restriction of Religious Freedom, 82 Miss L.J. 223 (2013).
- Author, Constitutional Law-Arrest and Detention Under the Material Witness Statute-Objectively Reasonable Arrest Did Not Violate Fourth Amendment, 81 Miss. L.J. 621, (2011).
- Hoggatt v. Allstate Insurance, et al., No. 20-60783, 2021 WL 666020 (5th Cir. 2021) (affirming dismissal of federal RICO and state law fraud claims against client).
- Thomas v. Tate Reeves, et al., 961 F.3d 800 (5th Cir. 2020) (en banc opinion) (vacating as moot district court order finding that State of Mississippi violated Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act in the apportionment of State Senate District 22)
- State of Mississippi v. Yazaki North America, Inc. et al., 294 So. 3d 1178 (Miss. 2020) (affirming dismissal of claims brought by State of Mississippi under the Mississippi Consumer Protection Act and Mississippi Antitrust Act against automotive wire harness system manufacturer client)
- Mississippi True v. Miss. Div of Medicaid, So. 3d 243 (Miss. 2020) (representing client in administrative appeal of Mississippi Division of Medicaid’s procurement of MississippiCAN managed care contracts)
- Toomer v. Coulter, 2020 WL 1286215 (S.D. Miss. Mar. 18, 2020) (granting summary judgment in favor of correctional medical provider client on constitutional claims asserted by inmate plaintiff)
- Allen v. Centurion of Miss., LLC, et al., 2020 WL 1047375 (S.D. Miss. Mar. 4, 2020) (granting summary judgment in favor of correctional medical provider client on constitutional claims asserted by inmate plaintiff)
- Butler v. PHC-Cleveland, Inc., 282 So. 3d 441 (Miss. Ct. App. 2019) (affirming summary judgment dismissal of wrongful death claims against hospital client)
- J.P. Milam v. Ann Kelly and Jim Kelly, 282 So. 3d 682 (Miss. Ct. App. 2019) (affirming entry of summary judgment in favor of homeowner clients in dispute over residential flooding in the City of Jackson)
- Mississippi True v. Miss. Div. of Medicaid, No. 2018-CC-01522, --- So.3d --- (Miss. pending) (representing client in administrative appeal of adverse decisions by the Mississippi Division of Medicaid)
- Stallworth v. Bryant, 936 F.3d 224 (5th Cir. 2019) (representing multiple individual state legislator clients in successful appeal challenging court order requiring subpoena of legislatively privileged materials)
- Thomas v. Phil Bryant, et al., 939 F.3d 629 (5th Cir. 2019) (representing State of Mississippi in appeal of claims made under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act)
- Brown, et al. v. Madison County, Mississippi, 2019 WL 5105323 (S.D. Miss. Oct. 11, 2019) (representing Madison County and its Sherriff in defense of civil rights class action alleging racially discretionary policing and roadblocks)
- Inland Family Practice Ctr. v. Amerson, 256 So. 3d 586 (Miss. 2018) (reversing and rendering judgment in favor of medical clinic and physician clients in defamation lawsuit brought by former patient)
- Miss. Baptist Health Sys., Inc. v. Harkins, 245 So. 3d 370 (Miss. 2018) (representing hospital client in medical negligence suit in question regarding proper venue of medical negligence suits in Mississippi)
- Balder v. Lavin, et al., 2018 WL 2976105 (S.D. Miss. June 23, 2018) (entering summary judgment in favor of clients in lawsuit filed by former employee of clients’ surgical practice)
- Keyes v. Gunn, 890 F.3d 232 (5th Cir. 2018) (reversed and rendered judgment in favor of state legislator clients in civil rights lawsuit over counting of their votes in state legislative race)
- Gunn v. Hughes, 210 So. 3d 969 (Miss. 2017) (reversing and rendering judgment in favor of client, Speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives, in dispute in successful over rules governing the operation of the Mississippi House of Representatives)
- Kenneth Palmer v. Canadian National Railway, Administrative Review Board Case No. 16-035 (Sep. 30, 2016) (obtained favorable ruling for railroad client that favorably decided the proper burden of proof for cases brought under the Federal Railway Safety Act)
- Legislature of State v. Shipman, 170 So. 3d 1211 (Miss. 2015) (reversing and rendering judgment in favor of the Misssisippi House of Representatives in successful appeal over title of legislative ballot initiative)