Barbara Childs Wallace holds an LL.M in Labor and Employment Law and has over thirty-seven years’ experience in this area, with over thirty-four of those years practicing in Mississippi. She joined Wise Carter Child & Caraway in 1983.
In 2010, Ms. Wallace was elected as a Fellow in the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Ms. Wallace has been listed in Best Lawyers in American in the area of Labor and Employment law for many years. She is also routinely listed as a Mid-South Super Lawyer in the area of Employment & Labor. Since 2003, Ms. Wallace has been listed as a Leading Lawyer in Labor and Employment Law by Chambers USA.
Since 1983, Ms. Wallace has been honored to serve in various capacities with the federal government, including as a member, and then Chair, of the U.S. Department of Education’s Civil Rights Reviewing Authority.
Since 1999, Ms. Wallace has also been a member of the Board of Directors of the Office of Compliance of the U.S. Congress, which both adjudicates and regulates labor and employment issues concerning congressional employees. In 2017, the leaders of the U.S. House and Senate appointed Ms. Wallace as Chair of this Board.
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1973, B.A.
- Schiller College, Heidelberg, Germany, 1971-1972
- Loyola University of Chicago, School of Law, 1977, J.D.
- The National Law Center, George Washington University, 1979, LL.M (with highest honors)
- Notre Dame Law School, 1975
- Law Clerk to Honorable George E. MacKinnon, 1979-1980
- Law Clerk to Honorable Roger Robb and Honorable George E. MacKinnon, 1979
- Office of Compliance Board of Directors, United States Congress, 1999-current
- Civil Rights Reviewing Authority, U. S. Department of Education, 1983-1996
- Office of the General Counsel, U. S. Department of Education, 1982-1983
- Kirkland & Ellis, Associate, 1980-1982
- All State & Federal Courts in Mississippi
- The Supreme Court of the United States
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Charles L. Clark Chapter of the American Inns of Court
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017-2021:
- Employment Law: Management
- Litigation: Labor & Employment
- Fellow inducted into College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Named The Best Lawyers in America 2016® Jackson, MS Litigation: Labor & Employment "Lawyer of the Year"
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2016 - Labor & Employment
- 2013 Corporate INTL Legal Awards - Labor Lawyer of the Year in MS
Civic and Charitable Interests
- Covenant Presbyterian Church
- Salt & Light Ministry, Honduras
Publications and Seminars
- Author, The University of Mississippi, Mississippi Employment Law Practice Handbook, Equal Pay Act Chapter, 1999 and 2002.
- Author, Employment Practices Dos & Don’ts Under the ADA, 30 Miss. Lawyer 10 (1993).
- Co-Author, Recent Developments in Sexual Harassment Law, 13 Miss. C. L. Rev. 37 (1993)
- Author, Employment Law and AIDS – A Dilemma Without a Good Solution, 115 Current Issues in Employment Law, 43rd Annual Mississippi Law Institute (1988).
- Co-Author, General “Empirical” Studies: Not a Substitute for Proof in Individual NLRB Proceedings, 1981 Ill. L. Rev. 99 (1981)
- Author, Note, The Constitutionality of Phased Growth Zoning Ordinances, 8 Urb. Law. 512 (1976).
- Author, Note, Motion to Suppress, Use of Improperly Obtained Statements, 7 Loy. Chi. L.J., Illinois Criminal Procedure Symposium 1001 (1976).