Andrew D. Sweat has practiced with Wise Carter for over 30 years focusing on workers’ compensation and insurance defense.
Andy represents and defends employers, carriers, and self-insurers in all aspects of workers’ compensation claims. In addition, Andy helps workers’ compensation self-insurers with a variety of regulatory and compliance issues affecting them.
He has represented the Self-Insurance Guaranty Associations since their inception. He has defended employers and carriers and has served as a defense expert in bad faith actions relating to workers’ compensation claims.
- University of Mississippi 1974, B.A.
- University of Mississippi 1977, M.S.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, 1984, J.D.
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- American Bar Association
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- National Workers' Compensation Defense Network
- The College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2021:
- Workers’ Compensation Law: Employers
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019: Jackson, MS - Workers' Compensation Law - Employers "Lawyer of the Year"
- Sawyer v. Illinois Central Gulf Rail Company, 606 So. 2d 1069 (Miss. 1992)
- Entergy Mississippi, Inc. v. Robinson, 777 So. 2d 53 (Miss. Ct. App. 2000)
- McCray v. Key Constructors, Inc., 803 So. 2d 1199 (Miss. Ct. App. 2000)
- Hardaway Co. v. Bradley, 887 So. 2d 793 (Miss. 2004)
- McMillian v. Delphi Packard Electric Systems, 921 So. 2d 345 (Miss. Ct. App. 2004)
- Baker v. IGA Super Valu Food Store, 990 So. 2d 254 (Miss. Ct. App. 2008)
- Weathersby v. Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc., 195 So.3d 877 (Miss. Ct. App. 2016)
- Mississippi Manufacturers Ass'n Workers' Comp. Grp. v. Mississippi Workers' Comp. Grp. Self-Insurer Guar. Ass'n, 281 So. 3d 108 (Miss. Ct. App. 2019)
- Jones v. Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc., 294 So.3d 76 (Miss. 2020)