Medical Records Law in Mississippi
Including Coverage of 2013 HIPAA Omnibus Rule
Thursday, January 28, 2016
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Mississippi Hospital Association
116 Woodgreen Crossing, Madison, Mississippi
As medical records law continues to evolve, the complexities of how your organization manages these sensitive records now will impact your legal liability later. When improperly handled, your records management practices are far reaching and potentially damaging to your organization. Proper records management is only a small part of protecting your business from damaging legal issues that will happen without understanding the full scope of what your responsibilities are as it pertains to HIPAA and patients’ rights.
Join us as we share insights and examples of what you must do and what you should never do when handling this very sensitive subject matter. Review how these laws impact your practice, discover strategies for managing records, and identify best practices for releasing health information. Not knowing does not protect your organization from financial responsibility for damages. Register today.
- Learn when HIPAA applies and who is a covered entity
- Learn what to do when a breach occurs
- Determine the proper method of responding to subpoenas and other requests for medical records
- Discover the latest issues surrounding substance abuse and mental health records
|9:00 a.m.||Medical Records Defined and Handling Subpoenas, Lott Warren|
|10:00 a.m.||HIPAA Overview, Derrick Godfrey|
|11:15 a.m.||HIPAA Special Concerns & Frequently Encountered Requests, Derrick Godfrey|
|1:00 p.m.||Regulatory Update, Will Dukes|
|1:45 p.m.||Security, Breach, Reporting & Enforcement, Will Dukes|
|2:45 p.m.||Electronic Health Records Considerations, Damon Carpenter|
|3:45 p.m.||Additional Medical Records Concerns & Other Requests for Medical Records, Po Lutken|
|4:30 p.m.||Q&A / Evaluation / Adjourn|
For this program, the following continuing education applications will be submitted for approval:
- AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association)
- CLE (Continuing Legal Education)
- CPHQ: This activity will be submitted to the National Association of Healthcare Quality for CPHQ CE credit.